Capitalised terms used in this mysadaqa Data Protection Policy (the “Policy”) shall have the meaning ascribed to them in the mysadaqa Terms of Services available on this Website.
Who Are We?
mysadaqa intends to operate its business in a number of countries and through different entities depending on your location. As at the date of this current update of the Policy, mysadaqa operates only out of the UK. When you access mysadaqa in the UK, mysadaqa is provided by the following relevant entity:
in the UK and the European Economic Area by FF Foundation Limited, registered at 38 Station Road, North Harrow, Harrow, England, HA2 7SE.
You can contact mysadaqa via email@example.com or by writing to the address listed above. This Policy applies to our collection and use of your data in connection with your use of the Website and the mysadaqa Services.
How to Reach Our Data Protection Officer?
To contact mysadaqa’s Data Protection Officer regarding our processing of your personal data, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
How Do We Notify You of Changes to this Policy?
We keep this Policy under regular review and place updates on the Website. We will also provide notifications of material changes via email or other channels. If you keep using the Website or the mysadaqa Services after we notify you, you consent to the updated Policy. If not, you may cancel your account.
What Are Your Rights?
mysadaqa recognises that your personal data belongs to you and we don’t wish to use it in ways that you don’t want us to.
You can control whether or not you receive marketing email from mysadaqa by visiting your mysadaqa account.
If granted by applicable laws, you can also exercise a variety of rights regarding our use of your data:
- You can ask us for a copy of the information we have about you
- You can ask us to correct any incorrect data we have about you and you can also update your account details yourself at any time by visiting your mysadaqa account
- You can ask us to delete your data
- You can ask for your data in a common, machine-readable format
- You can object to any processing we do on the basis of legitimate interests or to any automated decision-making
- You can ask us to restrict the processing of your data
To exercise any of the foregoing rights, please contact mysadaqa’s Data Protection Officer. Note that some of these rights may not be enforceable in your jurisdiction and some aren’t absolute—for example, we may not be able to forget you if we have to keep some of your data to comply with the applicable laws – but we’ll evaluate your request in accordance with applicable data protection laws. mysadaqa will respond to your request within one month of receiving it. Also, note that if you’re located in the UK or the EU, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the UK Information Commissioner’s Office or the supervisory authority in your country of residence or place of work.
What Data Do We Collect?
We don’t receive any personal data about you other than what you provide us, either by creating an account on the Website, using the mysadaqa Services, from Facebook when you agree to connect your Facebook account to mysadaqa, or data we can infer from your use of the Website and/or the mysadaqa Services.
When you create a mysadaqa account on the Website
We will collect basic contact information about you to set up your account you so you can make donations or raise funds. This will include your name, address and email address. We will also ask you to register a username and password so you can gain secure access to your account in the future.
Alternatively, you may authorise us to collect your basic personal details from a secure online source (e.g. Google, Facebook, or a Charity) to which you have already provided this information.
We enable you to set an image for your mysadaqa profile and this image is shown as a thumbnail next to all of your actions on the Website, unless you have chosen to hide your name and photo from the public when you donate. Please note that this image is dynamic and not frozen in time—e.g. if you change your image in 2018, the new image will appear next to your activities from 2015.
When you sign in to mysadaqa using your Facebook account
If you choose to login via Facebook, we will obtain access to your Facebook public profile information and email address. We will use this information to allow you to login and populate our records about you. If you give us permission (via Facebook’s preference settings), we may also obtain access to your friend list but we only receive the names of your friends who are also mysadaqa users. We will only use this to see if people on your friends list are also using the Website and as set out in the section entitled “How we use personal information” below. You can control whether or not Facebook shares this data with us, either by changing your preferences when you first login to mysadaqa with your Facebook account or by visiting the app setting controls on Facebook’s platform.
When you make a donation
To enable us to process donations, we will collect basic payment information as well as your name, home address and email address. Your name and the amount you've donated will display on the public page of the Website, unless you select the “Hide my name and photo from public view” option when you donate on the Website. As well as hiding your details from the public when you donate, you can also change the display name to something else, such as a nickname or your initials.
When you create a Fundraising or Crowdfunding Page
We will use the details you provided when you set up your account to create your fundraising page or Crowdfunding Page. We will also collect details of the charity or not-for-profit that you are supporting, or the details for your proposed Crowdfunding Page. Where applicable, we will ask you to provide details of how and when you are intending to fundraise and/or the occasion you are recognising by carrying out the fundraising.
Where you create a Crowdfunding Page, we will also collect your title (if you choose to provide it), date of birth, telephone number and personal bank account details.
When you give us information about others
You may decide to provide us with information about others (or authorise us to collect this information on your behalf from your social networks or your email contacts list) for example:
- so we can help you tell your friends and family about a Crowdfunding Page you are running or charity fundraising you are carrying out; or
- if you start fundraising or a Crowdfunding Page for, or in the memory or in celebration of, another person
You must ensure that they have agreed to you providing us with their information. Where required by local laws, we would advise you to keep a record of their agreement and provide them with a copy of, or link to, this Policy. This is especially the case if you provide us with sensitive information about them (e.g. a reference to an illness or health condition).
You should also only contact individuals using services who you know would be happy to hear from you and must not use the mysadaqa Services to send unsolicited 'spam' messages.
If you create a Crowdfunding Page for a club, organisation, body or association which is managed by someone other than yourself, you must ensure that the manager(s) of that club, organisation etc. agrees to your fundraising (e.g. you are a member of a sports club and want to raise funds for a new clubhouse - you must seek the agreement of the sports club committee).
What Happens If You Don’t Want Us to Have Your Data?
You are not required to provide personal data to us. Note, however, that your failure to do so may affect our ability to provide the mysadaqa Services you request. For example, we are unable to process your donation to a fundraiser if you do not provide your payment information.
How Do We Use Your Data?
mysadaqa uses your personal data to provide the mysadaqa Services you request, to personalise your mysadaqa experience, to send you communications and to enhance your ability to raise funds for the Causes you care about. We also use your data to help us make mysadaqa better and to advertise to you.
We use your information to provide the mysadaqa Services to you:
- using your account data to enable you to take advantage of our platform’s features, like setting up a fundraising or Crowdfunding Page
- processing donations and claiming Gift Aid, if applicable
- where you set up a Crowdfunding Page, to carry out bank account verification and identity checking, including with a credit reference agency
Personalising your mysadaqa
We want to enhance your experience with mysadaqa by tailoring the site to your interests:
- When you “like” a Cause or type of cause, we use that information to suggest Causes you may be interested in and show them to you on the home feed (“Feed”)
- In your Feed, we’ll also show you actions taken by people in your giving network—Facebook friends (if you’ve linked your account to mysadaqa) who are also mysadaqa users and people to whose fundraising/Crowdfunding Pages you have donated
- In your Feed and elsewhere in the mysadaqa Services, we’ll show you Causes related to Causes you have fundraised for or donated to in the past
We use your information to send you some different types of emails and you can stop receiving them as set forth below:
|Types of Emails||How Can You Stop Getting Them?|
|Related to helping us to analyse how well our products, marketing activities and business processes are working and understanding how we can provide a better experience for our users||You can opt-out by clicking unsubscribe at the bottom on the email|
|Related to pages you create or donations you make to keep you apprised of what’s happening on your page (or the page to which you donated) and to help you fundraise for that specific page, like donation notifications, target reach, fundraising tips and contests for active fundraisers to help you raise more for your Cause||You can opt out in account settings page|
|Notifying all our users of important alerts related to the Website and the mysadaqa Services, like outages or security issues||You can opt out in account settings page|
|Containing marketing messages about other ways to give and fundraise, like news and competitions related to Charities and Crowdfunding Pages, page activity in your giving network, developments in our mysadaqa Services, information about our affiliates’ products for social good||We only send these with your consent. To stop receiving them, click unsubscribe on any email|
|Triggered by actions you take using the Website and/or the mysadaqa Services, like page creation and cancellation notification emails||You can’t opt out of these, but you won’t receive any unless you take an action on mysadaqa. To stop receiving these emails, just don’t take any actions on the Website.|
|Containing communications we’re required to provide you by law, like donation receipts, Gift Aid information or notices about data breaches||We have to send these emails as required by law, as long as you have an account on the Website. To stop receiving these emails, please send us an email to our helpdesk on the email address set out on the Contact Us page of the Website, to delete your account.|
Enhancing Your Ability to Raise Funds
We offer you a variety of ways to enhance your fundraising/crowdfunding abilities, such as:
- allowing you to share others’ pages or your donation to a page with your connections by email, to other mysadaqa users or through your social networks, like Facebook or Twitter
- when you create or update a page, allowing you to share that news with your giving network by email, to other mysadaqa users or through your social networks
Making mysadaqa Better
We use aggregated and personal data about you and your use of the Website and/or the mysadaqa Services to develop and test better fundraising tools, to drive our research and development and to better understand our users and Charity partners. mysadaqa does this analysis using a variety of data sources—transactional data (how you use the Website and/or the mysadaqa Services), click stream and log data (web traffic and Website and/or mysadaqa Services usage), email data (how you respond to emails we send you), survey data, customer service data and data you agree to share with us from your Facebook account. We may send you surveys about the Website and/or the mysadaqa Services, but you can opt out of receiving these and participation is completely voluntary.
Aside from sending marketing communications by email, we may target ads to our users and measure how they perform, both through the mysadaqa Services, such as on the Website, and through other channels like social networking sites and other websites.
With Whom Are We Sharing Your Data?
We may disclose your data to our affiliated organisations and subsidiaries, and to service providers who render services to us or you on our behalf. We also may disclose your information if required by law, requested by law enforcement authorities or to enforce our legal rights, such as pursuant to a subpoena or to HMRC when you claim Gift Aid. We may share your information in connection with a sale or reorganisation of mysadaqa, but in any such case, the terms of this Policy will continue to apply.
Our service providers include, but are not limited to:
- banks and payment providers - to authorise and complete payment transactions;
- in relation to creators of Crowdfunding Pages, third party identity checking or credit reference agencies - for the purposes of identity checking and bank account verification;
- organisations within the payment card industry - to help prevent online fraud;
- IT, information security and cloud services providers – to help us in the hosting of the Website and provide the mysadaqa Services and keep your data safe; and
- communication providers – to assist us with the processing and delivery of email and other communications.
We also share your personal data with fundraisers, Crowdfunding Page creators, Charities and event partners and companies as follows:
- Fundraisers and Crowdfunders/Crowdfunding Page creators: If you donate to a fundraising or Crowdfunding Page, we let the page creator know your identity, email address and amount of your donation.
- Charities: We may choose to share with Charities and not-for-profits who are registered with us details about donations made to them, including your personal data (such as your name, email address and postal address). For Donors located in the UK or EU or donating to a charity in the UK or EU we'll only share your personal details with the beneficiary Charity if you opt-in to receive communications from it. Charities and not-for-profits who are registered with mysadaqa also have access to data about fundraising pages created by our users (including personal data of page creators) so they can understand who is fundraising for their benefit. For more information, please see the section “How Do Charity Partners Use my Data?” below. We will also share your personal details with the Charity when you apply for a “charity place” for a specific event. This is so the Charity can contact you about your application and, if successful, can register your details with the organiser of the event so you can attend.
- Partners: If you create a fundraising page for, donate to, register for, enter or otherwise participate in a sponsored event, campaign, fundraising initiative, promotion, we may share data about such fundraising pages, donation activity or registration with sponsoring third-party partners so that they can help to facilitate your participation in an event, campaign, fundraising initiative or promotion or to contact you as permitted by applicable law. The data we share with these partners may include your name, address, email address, donation amount and date, the named beneficiary and creation date of your page, your fundraising target, how much you have raised and the number of donors to your page. Fundraising page creators, Donors and participants located in the UK and EU can opt out of such sharing by contacting us, unless the sharing is necessary for the performance of a contract to which you're a party.
How Do Charity Partners Use My Data?
As stated above we will share your personal data with the Charities to which you donate unless you're in the UK/EU and choose not to share data with those Charities or receive email appeals from them. We'll also share details of fundraising page creators with Charities on whose behalf you fundraise. When we pass your information to Charities, they also become a controller with respect to such personal data. This means that they’re responsible for their own compliance with data protection laws when they use your personal data, and all such use is subject to the Charity’s own privacy notice. mysadaqa is not responsible for Charities’ use of your personal data or the charities’ compliance with applicable laws.
When you donate to or create a fundraising page, mysadaqa will ask whether or not you consent to receiving email from the Charity about the impact of your donation and other ways to support them including future events, campaigns and appeals. We will pass your consent preference on to the Charity, if it is subscribed to receive such reporting from us. Note that the Charity will need to receive your personal data to send you emails you consent to receive.
If you want to change your preferences for a Charity to use your data (to contact you or otherwise), please contact the Charity directly.
If the Charity you’re interacting with hasn’t subscribed to receive Charity reporting from mysadaqa, that Charity won’t have access to details about your consent preferences. This means that they won’t know if you have opted in or out of receiving email fundraising appeals.
Note that Charities receive information about supporters from lots of different sources. We’re not the system of record for our Charity partners, so we can only collect and evidence your consent to receive email fundraising appeals from our Charity partners as you elect on our platform. We cannot reflect any changes in your consent preferences that you make directly with the Charity. For example, if you opt in to receive emails from a Charity when you make a donation through mysadaqa, but then you subsequently opt out by telling the Charity, mysadaqa won’t have a record that you opted out of receiving email from that Charity.
How Do We Use Personal Data of Our Partner Users?
If you work for a Charity or company that has a business relationship with mysadaqa, we use your data in slightly different ways than for individual users of the Website and/or mysadaqa Services.
We collect a business user’s name, work email address, office number and fax number. We use this data to enable you to sign into your business’ account and to access Charity reporting. In addition, we may use your data to perform business services you request. Finally, we will send you the following email communications: operational emails, customer service emails and business marketing emails. When you log into your account, you can opt out of receiving emails from us, other than service emails related to your requests.
How Long Do We Keep Your Data?
We keep your personal data in an identifiable form for as long as we have a legitimate reason to use the data and as required by law.
We do not direct the marketing of the Website or the mysadaqa Services to users under the age of 18. If you are a parent or guardian and you are aware that your child has provided us with personal data, please contact us on the email address set out on the Contact Us page of the Website.
Users Located in the UK and European Union
In addition to the foregoing, the following provisions apply to our users located in the UK and EU.
On What Legal Bases Do We Process Your Data?
We process your personal data on a variety of legal bases depending on the use. For example, we will only process your personal data to send you direct marketing if we have your consent and you can withdraw this consent at any time by visiting your account and opting out of receiving such emails. Sometimes it is necessary to process your data for us to comply with our legal obligations, like when we send Gift Aid information to HMRC.
How Are We Using Your Data Based on Our Legitimate Interests?
We may process your personal data for the purposes of our legitimate interests, provided that these uses aren’t outweighed by your rights or interests. For any uses we justify on the basis of legitimate interest, you have the right to opt out of such processing through your account settings.
Are We Doing Any Automated Decision Making?
To help our users fundraise more effectively, we employ machine learning and other analytics that make inferences about some characteristics of our users. We use these tools to tailor emails to you, to show and prioritise causes, fundraisers, pages, and users on your Feed we think you’ll be interested in, and make suggestions about how much you may want to fundraise or donate.
Where Are We Sending Your Data?
As a platform that intends to be global in scope, we may store some users’ personal data outside the UK or EU. If we do, we ensure your data is processed only in countries that provide an adequate level of protection for your data or where the recipient provides appropriate safeguards, such as model contract clauses, binding corporate rules, or mechanisms like the EU-U.S. Privacy Shield framework. For a copy of such safeguards, please email us on the email address set out on the Contact Us page of the Website.